These guidelines are our acceptable use policy and clarify what we do and don’t allow on Owless. If you come across a post, comment or message that seems to break these rules, you can report it to us. Where available, we look to external research and guidance from subject matter experts as we work to keep Owless safe.
- We remove porn. We may hide nudity or erotica.
- We remove content that physically or sexually exploits people. We work with law enforcement to address the sexualisation of minors.
- We remove images that show gratuitous violence or glorify violence.
- We remove anything that promotes self-harm, such as self mutilation, eating disorders or drug abuse.
- We remove hate speech and discrimination, or groups and people that advocate either.
- We remove content used to threaten or organise violence or support violent organisations.
- We remove attacks on private people or sharing of personally identifiable information.
- We remove content used to sell or buy regulated goods, such as drugs, alcohol, tobacco, firearms and other hazardous materials.
- We remove accounts that impersonate any person or organisation.
- We remove harmful advice, content that targets individuals or protected groups, and content created as part of disinformation campaigns.
Intellectual property and other rights
To respect the rights of people on and off Owless, please:
- Don’t infringe anyone’s intellectual property, privacy or other rights.
- Don’t do anything or post any content that violates laws or regulations.
- Don’t use Owless’s name, logo or trademark in a way that confuses people.
Site security and access
To protect the Owless site, please:
- Don’t access, use or tamper with our systems or our technical providers’ systems.
- Don’t use any undocumented or unsupported method to access, search, scrape, download or change any part of Owless.
- Don’t try to reverse engineer our software.
- Don’t try to interfere with people on Owless or our hosts or networks, such as sending a virus, overloading, spamming or mail-bombing.
- Don’t collect or store personally identifiable information from Owless or people on Owless without permission.
- Don’t share your password, let anyone access your account or do anything that might put your account at risk.
- Don’t sell access to your account, boards or username, or otherwise transfer account features for compensation.
You can’t use Owless if it would be prohibited by US sanctions. Personal accounts and business accounts are currently not available in North Korea. Business accounts are currently not available in Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea or Syria.
Spam and quality
We want Owless to be high quality and useful, so we prioritise things that are actionable and provide consistent, enriching experiences. This includes:
- Original content that adds unique value.
- User-friendly formatting that makes it easy for people to find what they’re looking for.
- A consistent landing page that matches what’s in the post.
We also remove spam and other disruptive content including:
- Unsolicited commercial messages.
- Attempts to artificially boost views and other metrics.
- Repetitive or unwanted posts.
- Off-domain redirects, cloaking or other ways of obscuring where a post leads.
- Misleading content or behaviour. For example, deceptive design elements or suspicious pop-ups.
Lastly, be sure to follow all relevant laws and regulations.